Next we were given sheets with a numbered diagram of the block on it, and also instructions on how to make it using the diagram. These were the sheets that we followed showing the method:
This was the main equipment that we used: a tape measure, tracing wheel, and grading square.
First we followed the instructions on the sheet to draw out our draft skirt block onto draft paper, making sure we use the grading square on right angles for precision. Here's what my finished draft looked like:
After we had finished the draft, we used the tracing wheel to trace our block onto some thick card. Finally, we cut it out, and it was finished! Sorry though, I didn't manage to get actual photos of the finished block on card, but it basically looked exactly the same as my draft but just thicker!
Then, to finish the lesson, we looked at a few seams and made some samples. We focused on topstitching, which is often used to strengthen seams on things like jeans. (Take a look at your own, I bet you'll find some!) We did three different types of topstitching, and overlocked our closed seams before we topstitched them. I thought they were all very easy to do! Here's some photos:
So all in all, it was an extremely productive lesson! I enjoyed it very much. The week after when I was absent, we looked at how to manipulate the skirt blocks. This is what I'll be catching up on when I stay back on wednesday.
More tech posts to follow when I catch up!